Elyose dates back to the 2009 timeframe when French classical vocalist Justine Daaé and bass player Ghislain Henry met in Paris. They put together an EP which got instant acclaim from reviewers and music fans around the world. It was hailed as bringing a defiantly fresh take on gothic-symphonic metal, thanks to a more contemporary interpretation of the sound and some dance-oriented electronics.
This big amount of media attention led the band, while still very young, to hit the road for some well-received live gigs at prestigious venues such as « La Boule Noire » or « La Scène Bastille » in Paris. Elyose shows drew strong attention and developed a solid core of loyal and passionate fans.
2010 was devoted to writing new material and refining the line-up. By December, drummer Patrick Cazu joined the band, and Elyose worked over 6 month from January 2011 to finalize its debut album. In May, Elyose played again in Paris and toured in Belgium.
In the month of July, during 5 weeks, the band recorded and self-produced its debut album « Théogyne » at Piste Rouge Studio in Brussels. This record gets off the beaten track offering metal music that is difficult to classify, which combines classical and electronic arrangements. Enchanting, mischievous atmospheres and heavy incisive guitar riffs follow on from each other. A strong portion of the lyrical work is done in sensuous French and the vocals are mainly operatic, sometimes soaring, sometimes distilled in a shivering breath.
Elyose was joined by a new guitarist Antoine Bouchet at the end of 2011 and, right after the release of « Théogyne » on March 1st 2012, was chosen by THERION as direct support band for the 21 gigs of their european tour in fall, on the occasion of their 25th anniversary and their new album release « Les Fleurs du Mal ». Elyose played in Paris and toured in Belgium before diving into uncharted territory.
This tour, which went across 12 european countries (and Le Bataclan in Paris), was a privilege for the band to get known in optimal conditions (lighting/sound) in front of crowds from 500 to 1300 people. It was also a golden opportunity to refine live performances and come back stronger than ever.
In early 2013, the band started to write the second album, and performed a few shows in France (including a headlining show in Paris) to road test their new songs. The new Elyose is heavier, with a greater emphasis on dynamic music and live instruments.
In November 2013 , Elyose welcomed Marc De Lajoncquière as their new guitarist, and in February 2014 hit the stages of France, England and the Netherlands for the eights shows of the « Théogyne Final Tour 2014 » supporting former Nightwish singer TARJA TURUNEN.
2014 was dedicated to finishing the second album’s post-production, which was recorded, mixed, and mastered at Tower Studio between summer 2014 and early 2015. Elyose’s first music video « Rédemption » - which is a short movie written by Pat Kzu - was shot in December 2014 and released in May 2015, one month before the second album, which ultimately is titled « Ipso Facto » and distributed worldwide by Season of Mist.
Reviews unanimously call « Ipso Facto » heavy, modern, original, and an evolutionary leap from the previous release. The album’s French lyrics still provide a sultry charm, while still conveying emotion that transcends language.
Justine Daaé : Vocals
Ghislain Henry : Bass
Marc De Lajoncquière : Guitar
Patrick Kzu : Drums
- kind of metal: doom/death/goth/indus/electro
- bands: Septic Flesh, Theatre Of Tragedy, Therion, Draconian, Tristania, After Forever, Trail Of Tears
- albums: Invisible Circles (After Forever) - Turning Season Within (Draconian) – Ashes and World Of Glass (Tristania) - Lemuria and Vovin (Therion) - Sumerian Deamons and Communion (Septic Flesh) - Musique (Theatre Of Tragedy) - Royaume Mélancolique (Dark Sanctuary)
- singer: Lori Lewis, Simone Simons and Christina Aguilera (before she started making RnB)
Dream job when I was a child: singer in a metal band
Hobbies besides music: reading, acting, go traveling, exploring nature
I dream of a duet with: Spiros Antoniou (Septic Flesh)
My first album was: Spice (Spice Girls)
My philosophy: never take no as an answer
Something I'm super good at: get up in the afternoon
Something I totally suck at: get up in the morning
My secret passion: animals (but dogs… but French bulldogs…)
- kind of metal: every kind without pig growls
- bands: Rammstein, Iron Maiden, ac/dc, Korn, Led Zeppelin...
- albums : Iron Maiden « Somewhere In Time » - Guns And Roses « Appetite For Destruction » - Rammstein « Sehnsuch »
- bass player: Rémy Sarrazin
Dream job when I was a child: to become Elyose bass player !
Hobbies besides music: sculpture
I dream of a duet with: Michael Jackson.....:/
My first album was: « Hysteria » by Def Leppard
My philosophy: May the Force be with you !
Something I'm super good at: bmx
Something I totally suck at: natation
My secret passion: Victoria's Secret
Marc De Lajoncquière
- kind of metal: many kinds!!
- bands: Alter Bridge, In this Moment….and many many others!
- albums: AB III (Alter Bridge),Blood(in this Moment),Use you illusion I,II, Appetite for destruction(Gun's Roses)Apocalyptic Love (Slash) Karma (Winger) Boom (™ Stevens)Twilight of the Thunder God (Amon Amarth) Through the ashes of empires (Machine Head) Seasons in the abyss (Slayer) Alien Love secrets (Steve Vai) The sun and the earth (Stevie Salas) and thousands more!
- guitarist: Slash but also SO MANY others!
Dream job when I was a child: building site machine's pilot :)
Hobbies besides music: music and… also music (or cinema and mountain bike)
I dream of a duet with: Steve Vai
My first album was: Scorpions best of rockers'n'Ballads
My philosophy: Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle
Something I'm super good at: taking a nap!
Something I totally suck at: DIY
My secret passion: well...it's a secret!
- kind of metal: melodic, symphonic
- bands: Nightwish, Mylène Farmer, Angra, Unsun, Delain, WT, Sonata Arctica
- album: DVD end of an era de Nightwish
- drums player: Avery MOLEK (the best drummer investment for the 20 forthcoming years)
Dream job when I was a child: doing nothing and earning enough money to be happy and comfortable.
Hobbies besides music: sports, nature, snares…
I dream of a duet with: my wife (but she doesn’t play anything… so I keep it as a dream…)
My first album was: Machine Head (Deep Purple). I was twelve. This album has definitely changed my musical addiction from classical to heavy music.
My philosophy: don’t do to others what you wouldn’t like them to do to you. And do to others what you would like them…
Something I'm super good at: bargaining in shop, when it makes sense…
Something I totally suck at: finding my way when walking in a city without map or phone.
My secret passion: keep you secrets secret.